Splashchat is a social swimming group jointly run by the Occupational Therapists, the Memory Clinic and Jersey Alzheimer's Association in conjunction with AquaSplash.
Its purpose is to allow people with a diagnosis of dementia to meet on a weekly basis and take part in a swimming activity. It runs on Thursday mornings at the AquaSplash from 10.30am - 11.00am.
From 11.00am onwards attendees can visit The Bar to purchase a hot/cold drink and spend time with others. The session will finish at 12noon.
Splashchat runs for 10 week blocks during term-time. The AquaSplash will not be available during school holidays; consideration may be given to alternative venues during half terms and summer holiday breaks.
Please see the leaflet below which you can download.
In 2016 Splashchat received an Award for being the best example of excellence and innovation in health and social care in Jersey in the annual Quality Improvement Awards run by HSSD.
The presentation which secured the Award was planned and fronted by Sarah Blake, Senior Occupational Therapist.
Set out below is an extract from the States of Jersey website which describes the Quality Improvement Awards process.
Excellence and innovation in health and social care has been celebrated by the Health and Social Services Department (HSSD) as teams of staff present projects which have improved patient or client care.
Final judging for HSSD’s annual Quality Improvement Awards took place this week. The event seeks to promote, recognise and reward innovation in practice. Staff were able to enter any project undertaken which has been developed through teamwork and benefits islanders receiving care. 11 teams of project finalists were chosen across four categories:
The judging panel consisted of:
- Connetable John Refault – Assistant Minister for Health and Social Services
- Richard Stevens – Director for Human Resources, States of Jersey
- Gail Cadell – Director for Palliative Care, Jersey Hospice Care
Following the presentations, winners were announced in four categories:
- Patient/Client Safety – Thomas House accommodation service (a partnership between Barnardo’s Jersey and the HSSD Care Leaving Team)
- Value for Money – Implementation of a ‘Mindfulness for Health’ Programme in the Pain Clinic
- Customer Care – The Oxygen Box Project by the Community Oxygen Team
- Innovation – Splashchat Project (a partnership between the HSSD Occupational Therapists, Jersey Alzheimer’s Association and Aquasplash)
The overall winner of the Quality Improvement Awards was Splashchat, as announced at the HSSD Achievement Awards evening which took place at the Radisson Blu Hotel on Thursday 29 September.
Chief Nurse, Rose Naylor, who oversees the Quality Improvement Awards said: “The initial task of reducing the entries down to a shortlist of 11 was a difficult one and it was an even greater challenge for the judges to pick out the winner in each category. As these awards demonstrate, staff want to do their best and work well in partnership – this is an important opportunity to showcase their work and I think they are all a real credit to Jersey.”